Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wow, this might be valid for live...

I have a buddy that uses Band in a Box for live gigs, playing standards that I've seen in my iRealbook app. I just purchased my app along with the extra rhythm style pack and can see a real potential for this app in live gigs. Another great advantage for me is being able to lay down my own changes under "new song" and play over them. I'm studying Jazz blues progressions and this feature is exactly what I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Musicmanstan View Post
    I have a buddy that uses Band in a Box for live gigs, playing standards that I've seen in my iRealbook app. I just purchased my app along with the extra rhythm style pack and can see a real potential for this app in live gigs. Another great advantage for me is being able to lay down my own changes under "new song" and play over them. I'm studying Jazz blues progressions and this feature is exactly what I needed.
    Yes, this is exactly right. The iReal Book player has some "BiaB" like capabilities now, in a tiny iOS form-factor.

And I too have taken advantage of the "new song" capability to put in chord progressions for some of my own jazz-vocal originals too.

I can see a future version of the jazz styles pack that expands on the piano styles beyond just chord comping, maybe add some guitar styles beyond the gyspy jazz one, and maybe even some strings and horns for "bigger" arrangements.

Default Multitasking, melody, lyrics, notation, PDF

Default loop for live gigs?

So I have been doing live gigs with Band in a Box for a few years now, triggering starts, stops, and instrument muting via a midi foot pedal. This app sounds better and seems much more convienient than Band in a Box, and Band in a Box is sometimes clunky and buggy.

I would love to switch to this app for my gigs but currently it seems to lack an important feature, infinite loops. Is there any way to infinitely loop a song? I would like to have an intro, and then for it to infinitely loop, and when I am done I can cut the volume with a volume foot pedal. Ideally a midi foot controller somehow interfaced to the ipod/ipad would be best (to trigger start, stop, go to sections, etc.), but that sounds like something a little far off in the future.

Any way to loop infinitely? Is this something that will be offered in the future? Or can you increase the number of repeats to more than 20 to something larger, like 60 or something -long enough to ensure decent jamming time on a tune? I wouldn't mind waiting longer for the tune to generate if it meant it would play longer...

Quote Originally Posted by acharney View Post
    ...Or can you increase the number of repeats to more than 20 to something larger, like 60 or something ...
    You could re-chart so you have repeats ||: ...... :||
    We allow putting 2x, 3x or 10x etc. at the closing repeat in staff text, and combined with repeating the tune at 20 it should work for you. Chart it so it has to play the repeat bars a number of times before it will finish that chorus, then the Player controls repeat will continue to the second chorus. Even setting it at 4x and 20 it will give you 80 times through. (I have not tested it to see what happens. And it will need to calculate longer when you press Play.)

And you can use the Rehearsal symbol In (for Introduction) at the beginning if you need one before the repeating starts. Tagged with In, it does not repeat the introduction each time through. (Use a rehearsal A at the start of the repeated bars so it knows where the introduction ends.)

See:
    http://www.irealb.com/support/manuals/ios-manual/
    Last edited by Starfish; 12-26-2011 at 02:44 PM.

I just did a four hour solo guitar gig, using this app. I ran my iPad into a channel of my small pa, ran my jazz gtr into my Mac using a gtr track in GB, and it went flawlessly. The customer (restaurant) loved it, it was easy to set up and tear down... Perfect gig.
    Paige

Default Any one out there using Ireal for backing?

Hey just a thought, anyone used Ireal for solo gigs ? If so any setts vs you could suggest?

ADMIN EDIT: moved to this thread. Please continue discussion... very useful for many of us.

Default Ampkit v1.2

http://agilepartners.com/
    updated for multitasking (audio processed in the background.)

Default Finally did it.

I know this is an old(er) thread, but it seems to be the one that's most relevant.

I am a jazz sax player with more than 44 years of gigging experience, and in that time have played with practically every imaginable combination large and small, down to guitar/sax duos. 3-4 years ago, I began to experiment with the notion of doing small solo gigs with BIAB, GarageBand loops, etc., but gave it up when I found that it was simply too kludgey to be practical, and it really didn't sound that good.

Since I grabbed iRealB (its predecessor, actually), I have found that it was potentially a better application for making music in a live setting under certain circumstances.

Long story short: after much trepidation, fear of "cheesiness", and soul-searching I took a background-music gig and did it as a solo with iRealB on the iPad. I spent a couple days tweaking changes, and adding intros and endings onto charts found on this forum over the past year or so, and added several of my own to fill out a set list. Then i took a deep breath and tossed my horns, small acoustic amp and iPad into the car, and hit the gig.

Bottom line: people dug it. The only "cheese" anyone noticed was on the hors d'oeuvres table. For me, it was no worse than being in the recording studio weeks after the rhythm section had laid down tracks, and actually was a little more dynamic than that since I could change things on the fly, including repeats, tempos, and keys. Not every tune I thought of would work with this app, since there are many with very set bass lines, drum hits, and other quirks, but for the more or less straight-ahead jazz and Latin stuff, this thing is the bomb, and I have played live with "professionals" who were less together than this rhythm section is.

No, it's not the same as a live jazz performance with the kind of communication and synergy that happens among skilled musicians, and I certainly would not consider doing this in a real concert setting (although I could see creating some clever performance art out of it!). But, for street playing or a little cocktail party or reception gig where you are not the main attraction, it's got some legs, and it was fun to stretch out on a few tunes and play with the time here and there without the fear that the drummer would try to follow and turn the beat around on me.

And just for the record: at this point in my playing life I am not at all interested in what the "jazz police" think about what or how I play; I am happy if the client/listeners are happy and I am having fun, and the JP can stuff it!

Nice work, Massimo. I sure can tell a serious bass player was involved in the making of this picture. Keep up the excellent efforts!

Now, if I can just work out how to get this thing to lay out for a bar or a beat here and there without the drum track...
    Last edited by nhsaxes; 06-16-2012 at 02:15 PM.

Default mic stand mount for covered ipad

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    I looked at the iKlip and Xclip but I have the Apple iPad cover and both seem to accommodate just the ipad and do not allow any covers. I like the Apple cover as it closes to protect the surface and I use it on café tables in Landscape on an angle. It is a tight fit to get it in and out, so would rather have a 'clip' which has a little more room and can secure with levers or something to close up on the size....or maybe just buy another iPad!

In order to use my ipad (in the cover) on my mic stand, I've found I can "wedge" it between an accessory mic holder like this one: http://www.music123.com/pro-audio/km...rophone-holder and one of the locking handles or knobs on the stand. It's securely (enough) held at a satisfactory viewing angle.
    )BOB

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/iklip/features/
    http://criskenna.com/xclip.html
    Sent from my iPad