Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wow, this might be valid for live...

Hi GigDiary, thanks for your information and feedback. Glad it went well!
    Which iOS device do you use?

Default AmpKit and iRealBook

My previous question about using AmpKit and iRealBook together is now a moot point thanks to another reply on this forum. I wouldn't want them on the same device. I now have a reason to get an iPhone or another iPod. As someone, CogCode I think, said, 'minimalization'.

What a magnificent word for the one man band.

I'm using the iPod, but will, see my next message, now upgrade my phone to an iPhone to complete my 'device rig'.

Quote Originally Posted by gigdiary View Post
    I'm using the iPod, but will, see my next message, now upgrade my phone to an iPhone to complete my 'device rig'.
    The reason why I ask is that another guitarist said that he thought the ipod too small at the distance he puts his music stand and likes the iPad size better. You obviously cope with the small screen size. Thanks.

Default iPod vs iPad

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    The reason why I ask is that another guitarist said that he thought the ipod too small at the distance he puts his music stand and likes the iPad size better. You obviously cope with the small screen size. Thanks.
    I only used the iPod as a player not a chord or sheet music reader. Of course it's too small for that. So now, yes, my new device rig needs all three, iPod, iPhone, as a backup and an iPad for the space to load lead sheets etc.

On the gig the other day, there was no music stand, just a table with the PA amp and mixer, which left little room for anything other than my beer, a Boss Delay and the iPod. I chose tunes I knew. Of course if I were a one man outfit it would be different.

Quote Originally Posted by gigdiary View Post
    I only used the iPod as a player not a chord or sheet music reader...
    I play guitar also, so will see if I can see my ipod touch iReal book chords rather than the iPad size.
    I have been looking at some of the music PDF apps for the iPad to have notation charts, have not made up my mind between forscore, Gigbook, iBooks and unrealbook. Have you decided on one yet?

I play guitar also, so will see if I can see my ipod touch iReal book chords rather than the iPad size.
    I have been looking at some of the music PDF apps for the iPad to have notation charts, have not made up my mind between forscore, Gigbook, iBooks and unrealbook. Have you decided on one yet?
    I wouldn't try to use the iPod for chords, other than a quick skim or refresher before playing the tune. I don't have an iPad yet, but the iRealBook app is giving me good reason to shell out the bucks. As I said before, I'd be happy using the Touch as a player and use the iPad as a pdf reader if needed, for tunes I don't know.

It's still quite a small price considering we've paid out for laptops, and other hardware to do gigs in the past. Of course the iPod or phone will play all your other tracks too.

I've looked at pdf readers on IOS, but until I get an iPad, I can't offer an opinion.

Yeah, the iPad/iPod Touch combo is hitting my "sweet spot" for my gigging rig.

iPad for iReal Book charts and the player, and iPod Touch for my virtual guitar rig.

I've even stripped down the vocal processing. My little Mackie mixer doesn't have an on-board fx section, so I'm using my little TC-Helicon Harmony-G pedal, which has a decent built-in fx section for reverb, etc.

So my whole rig (excluding guitar, mic/stand, powered speakers) now takes up about 2 sq feet of space total. lol

What a wonderful time to be a musician.

There are a couple of interesting options, if you haven't already seen them.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?p...ts/accessories

http://www.primacoustic.com/telepad.htm

Personally, I'm thinking of getting the IK Multimedia iKlip for my iPad, and the Primacoustic TelePad for my iPod Touch, and mounting them both on my mic stand.

Quote Originally Posted by CogCode View Post
    Personally, I'm thinking of getting the IK Multimedia iKlip for my iPad,
    I looked at the iKlip and Xclip but I have the Apple iPad cover and both seem to accommodate just the ipad and do not allow any covers. I like the Apple cover as it closes to protect the surface and I use it on café tables in Landscape on an angle. It is a tight fit to get it in and out, so would rather have a 'clip' which has a little more room and can secure with levers or something to close up on the size....or maybe just buy another iPad!

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/iklip/features/
    http://criskenna.com/xclip.html