Thread: iRp Sync emails and BackUps

Default iRp Sync emails and BackUps

I keep my various devices in sync by using the forums to open playlists saved there, mainly using the Sandbox forum, or by emailing playlists to myself and then opening them on my other devices.

When you see the code used to upload just one song to the forum and then consider a playlist with e.g. 100 songs it makes me wonder just how complex an email containing 100 songs must be?

My iRp full BackUps are sent to my eldest Son quite regularly for safe keeping and I keep my saved emails clean by going back and deleting very old BackUps. I'd just like to know if there's any recommended limit to the amount of emails I can store or send to myself?

I've never had any problems with my mail software and can see the emails are in fact small in size, I am just curious about just how complex large playlists actually are?

Also, today I've decided to delete a lot of songs on just my iPhone. The search function is amazing and I can find all e.g. Practice Charts. If for example I wanted to dedicate my iPhone to iRp songs only do I have to delete unwanted songs one at a time? or is there a way to batch delete a lot of songs all at the same time?
    Cheers! Dave... MacBook Pro - OS X 10.10 - Mac iRp v 6.1 - iOS iRp v 6.1

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRobinson View Post
    When you see the code used to upload just one song to the forum and then consider a playlist with e.g. 100 songs it makes me wonder just how complex an email containing 100 songs must be?
    I just emailed myself a backup... 6530 charts, 130 playlists, the HTML attatchment = 6.3MB
    (about the same file size as a single mp3 song-track or a couple of full-size photos)

do I have to delete unwanted songs one at a time? or is there a way to batch delete a lot of songs all at the same time?
    Individual charts on phones are deleted one by one. Or, make playlist of just what you want to keep, email it for safekeeping, then reset the app (deletes ALL songs at once), reload your playlist from email.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 06-28-2014 at 01:34 PM.

Thanks Bob, some of my unwanted charts aren't in playlists so some patience and careful deleting in store.

I'm working with about 2600 charts on 3 devices, so that's 3 emails I've stored in iCloud this week.
    It's not so much the size of the file I'm curious about, more to do with the amount of code contained in the email (BackUp).

Your 6530 Charts must store a tremendous amount of code in one email?

My iReal Pro's have always worked well and I've never had issues storing my BackUps on iCloud, I don't foresee any problems but just wanted to hear others thoughts on having say 20 large playlists in individual emails backed up in the same week?

Your 6530 Charts must store a tremendous amount of code in one email?
    Just 6.3MB
    Tremendous? Using dial-up, yes. DSL or better, nah.
    You can attach files of 10MB (or more depending on your email provider) to each email.
    Unless you are a real power-user of large files beyond iReal Pro, I doubt you'll encounter storage limit issues.
    iReal Pro code is pretty thrifty, back-up as often as you want.
    )BOB

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    iReal Pro code is pretty thrifty, back-up as often as you want.
    )BOB
    Sure is. On with Backing up iPhone already.

Thanks again Bob

Some other thoughts:
    - you can also backup to Dropbox (Google drive, Box etc.) If you have their app on your computer or device, when you backup or share, it should list as a location to save (export) to.
    - I have tested over 11,000 songs without any problems importing again
    - the song code file is similar to a text file so is quite small (you see it when you paste to forums) and reconstructs itself within the app on import
    - if you are worried about losing songs, import from each device into iReal Pro on one as a master device then backup before you start deleting
    - if you have the Mac version, it is much quicker to construct your playlists there (drag and drop). I often save individual playlists in dropbox and update each as necessary then have a composite backup for populating other devices for sync (as Bob suggested, Settings>erase all, then import the composite. Note that Settings like global transpose are reset to default so you will need to set these each time if necessary.)

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    Some other thoughts:
    - you can also backup to Dropbox (Google drive, Box etc.) If you have their app on your computer or device, when you backup or share, it should list as a location to save (export) to.
    - I have tested over 11,000 songs without any problems importing again
    I don't use any of those apps, although I've read good reviews particularly regarding Dropbox. emails are my main tool for BackUps. 11,000 songs is a large file to email, I'll certainly do some experiments in the future.

the song code file is similar to a text file so is quite small (you see it when you paste to forums) and reconstructs itself within the app on import
    I've noticed the song code you mention, it was even more obvious when in the past I've used the old web editor to build larger playlists. You can see the song code multiply as you add more songs. I think this is what sparked my curiosity in the first place.

if you are worried about losing songs, import from each device into iReal Pro on one as a master device then backup before you start deleting
    - if you have the Mac version, it is much quicker to construct your playlists there (drag and drop).
    I realised early on just how nice it is to use the Mac version for editing and playlist building. I'll follow your advice and use the Mac version as my master device from now on.

I often save individual playlists in dropbox and update each as necessary then have a composite backup for populating other devices for sync (as Bob suggested, Settings>erase all, then import the composite. Note that Settings like global transpose are reset to default so you will need to set these each time if necessary.)
    Saving individual playlists is how I'd like to proceed here but using emails. I've made a composite backup and am busy building individual playlists at the minute. In the past my different devices have all had very similar content/playlists but as I'm working my way through this project I'm becoming even more aware of just how versatile iReal Pro is. Thanks for your thoughts, very helpful.

Playlists created July osx-iRp 12nExercise Practice Charts.

http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...-Charts/page18
    Last edited by DaveRobinson; 07-06-2014 at 12:07 AM.