Thread: Freddie Green style

Default Freddie Green style

Hello all, I'm new to iReal. And very new to jazz guitar - I'm specifically (and solely for the moment) interested in Freddie-green style rhythm chords. Can I set the chord add-on to supply only these chords?

I have the Mel Bay Deluxe Chord Encyclopedia, which includes these chords, but it'd be a whole lot easier to have the diagrams built-in to iReal.

Quote Originally Posted by mvega View Post
    Hello all, I'm new to iReal. And very new to jazz guitar - I'm specifically (and solely for the moment) interested in Freddie-green style rhythm chords. Can I set the chord add-on to supply only these chords?
    I have the Mel Bay Deluxe Chord Encyclopedia, which includes these chords, but it'd be a whole lot easier to have the diagrams built-in to iReal.
    Unfortunately there is no set of diagrams that shows you the Freddie Green chords specifically within iReal Pro.
    You might find this book useful along with the one you have:
    http://www.halleonard.com/product/vi...r&subsiteid=1&
    It does not take long to learn some of the simple shapes, then you can input some of the exercises you are learning into iReal Pro to provide a backing for you to practice with. I think you will find it fun if you have not done this already.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

I have the Johnson book, and it's very helpful. I started out with this one http://www.halleonard.com/product/vi...?itemid=695867, which provided a great introduction to this style.

I agree that it's best to memorize the chords to be able to play them on the fly. I'm just looking for a crutch to help ease that process ;-) Is there a way to add my own chord diagrams?

I'm a singer (from a rock background), so I suppose I get to control what keys songs are playing in anyway, right?

If you are not used to learning an instrument, here is a suggestion.
    I would start out very simply by learning two chords and getting your fingers moving between one formation and the next, then back. For example, in the Johnson book, exercise 1, you could practice F7 to Bb7 to F7 to Bb7 …
    I would practice this until you are fluent, then in iReal Pro you can either make a song exercise just for this or find the two chords in a song and loop them. Start with a very slow tempo enough so you can get the finger formation correctly each time the chord changes. (Your fingers need to be on the neck in position before you strum the new chord and you need to practice being accurate.)

Movable chords (meaning no open strings are used) mean once your fingers can automatically make the formation of shapes moving from chord to chord fluently (coming with practice from slow to a little faster over days or weeks of regular practice) you will be practicing the same thing no matter what the letter name the chord is (or key you are in) so it will work in all 12 keys.
    Once you can do this, simply moving your hand up a couple of frets gives you G7 to C7. Practice mode in iReal Pro can be set to change the key on each chorus (repeat) so when you are fluent, you can practice moving your hand up (or down) with each key change depending on your settings.

Another simple chord change (very useful in jazz) is the II-V progression … Dm7 to G7 for instance. Exercise 3 the first couple of measures shows you this. Again, do not attempt the complete song, just get this change fluent. (I would try one chord per measure or even change every two—not both in the same measure to begin with.)

You can quickly sketch out the two diagrams on a piece of paper for reference, but after a while your fingers will learn the feel of finger movement from one to the other and by only having the two, you should be able to quickly learn it in your mind.

I hope something here is of help.

No unfortunately, you cannot add your own diagrams within iReal Pro.

Hi, I've been playing guitar for a good while, but I don't read notation, only tab, and my theory is pretty limited... like I said, I come from a rock background, where knowing how to play an Ebmin7b5 chord isn't usually necessary.

For the moment, I'm using the chord book to help me plot out the chords to match the progressions of the songs I want to sing (I'm also using the practice tracks to help me memorize the forms). Since I'll be accompanying myself while I'm singing, I'll need to memorize the songs themselves -- I hate watching singers who work from charts. But again, that's probably because I work from a rock background.

I'd be interested in the chord add-on if it could be expanded to include rhythm chords. Seems like an oversight to me.

Freddie Green is more of a style rather than specific chords. what he plays there are pretty much stock guitar movable chords. it's the style of playing: even 4/4 with no back slap, no additional Grace notes, just four to the bar chord change, usually every two beats. that's how you get to Freddie Green style
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 04-26-2020 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Failed post attempt deleted

So a thorough chord knowledge is essential... that you can find the same harmony in several different positions

To MVega: for a great course on advanced chords and how to substitute them, see Mickey Baker's Vol 1 book on jazz guitar