Thread: Feature requests

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kalokagathon View Post
    I've been wishing for this for a long time - glad I'm not alone.
    This is my wish:

- sort by key
    1) original
    2) transposed
    Ah, what defines the default (er, correct?) key for a song?

Is it the key of the earliest published sheet music?
    The key as published in widely distributed real(fake) books?
    The key performed in the most well-known recording? Or popular, or earliest?
    How about, simply how I prefer to play it?

Sometimes they are the same, often they're not.

I suspect the default designation of the keys for most tunes in the main playlists were simply based on, "as commonly played".

An important iRp feature is the app's ability to instantly transpose any song, as well as to easily maintain differently keyed versions in multiple playlists to accomodate different ensembles and vocalists.

It's clear from this thread, that the needs expressed by many are different and varied.

Every added feature increases the design complexity, the complexity of the user interface, the "clutter" on the tiny screens that some prefer, as well as the end user's learning curve, the length of the instruction manual(s) not to mention confusion..

"Better" for some, isn't necessarily better for others.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-19-2014 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    Ah, what defines the default (er, correct?) key for a song?

Is it the key of the earliest published sheet music?
    The key as published in widely distributed real(fake) books?
    The key performed in the most well-known recording? Or popular, or earliest?
    How about, simply how I prefer to play it?
    Easy, actually: its default key, as saved in the "info" section.
    Playlist keys or transpositions shouldn't matter, in search. Or at least, it'd my business to keep that into account.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    Every added feature increases the design complexity, the complexity of the user interface, the "clutter" on the tiny screens that some prefer, as well as the end user's learning curve, the length of the instruction manual(s) not to mention confusion..

"Better" for some, isn't necessarily better for others.
    )BOB
    Understand, and generally agree.
    But - if there is a feature, people will figure out how to use it as they need/wish.

I still think it's a great app without the key search; could be better... ;-)
    Live freely. Respect the planet.

Default Love the New Styles

Just wanted to say I think the new styles (and tweaks on the old styles) are wonderful. Happy I'll have the trad/N.O. styles when Mardi Gras rolls around (love the tuba 'n' banjo!). Blue Note sounds great and is a much-needed alternative to using a Latin style on "boogaloo" material. I also find myself switching many swing tunes to Medium Up Swing 2 (the new ride cymbal is excellent) or to the more laid-back Guitar Trio and Doo Doo Cats settings (although I have to say, during my 50 years playing jazz I've never heard the term "doo doo cats"). Lastly, I can't thank you enough for the drumstick count-in option and volume control. Going through all my old charts to make adjustments will take some time, but with these new styles it's certainly worth the effort.
    Oh, and since this is the "Future Requests" thread, I'll request a Western Swing style.
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.