Thread: Ad hoc networking of multiple devices

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I know Harry Connick's big band charts are all digitized and controlled from one computer. (Of course, they use large monitors, not their smart phones *haha*) This sounds like something that would require a whole different program to accomplish, not just iRealb. The big bands I've worked with pull out all the individual charts (paper ones) before each set so there isn't any fumbling time between songs. Your guys could do the same thing with iRealb by creating a Playlist and moving the files into it, in the order they'll be called. Then they can just "turn the page" and the next chart will be there. At the end of the set they can just delete the Playlist. (Man, that is SO much easier than having to put all those damn books back in order!)

I've heard that some orchestras are using something like what you describe.

Maybe it's just my choice of bandleader, but generally I find they like to mix it up on the fly, depending on audience reaction, their mood, time constraints, requests etc.. Even if they arrive with a set list they always end up changing it!

I should add that as soon as I heard about iRealB, this is what I hoped it would be able to do. It seems obvious that if a group is playing the same series of songs, it should be controlled from a central location rather than each individual pulling up the same chart and hoping they're all on the same page.

I guess a similar result could be achieved by just the bandleader using iRealB and the rest using a remote desktop app to look at it. But then you couldn't deal with transposing instruments, and it would be difficult to use with mixed platforms.

Everything you say makes sense. It just doesn't sound like something you should expect from an $11 app. In any case, the players should already have the bandleader's "book" in it's own playlist. Easier to find 1 song out of a few dozen than 1 song out of a few thousand. Sometimes, you just have to go old-school.