Thread: Gypsy Jazz

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A bit of an I-hear-it-this-a-ways... Slight revision to Bei Mir Bist Du SchonI can't say it's totally a correction, so much as a preference thing... Which do y'all prefer?
    Bei Mir Bist Du Schoen by Secunda-Jacob-Cahn-Chaplin

I guess that's why there's more than *one* band. In Portland, we enjoy playing it in Gm and prolonging the V#.

irb makes it easy to tweak tunes however you like.

)BOB

Happy Birthday Django!

Today marks Django Reinhardt's 100th birthday. His playing has had a profound and lasting influence on the music we enjoy today. Les Paul, Chet Atkins, Eric Clapton and other greats all credit Django as significant in their growth as players.

Here's an interesting online biography:

http://www.redhotjazz.com/django.html
    links to more Django stuff:
    http://www.RoseCityHotClub.com/links

Keep Swingin',
    )BOB

Another Django tune.
    A version of Stars Fell... with some alternate changes.
    )BOB

Playlist containing all 2 songs:
    Gypsy Jazz 11

Individual songs:
    Are You In The Mood by Reinhardi-Grapelli
    Stars Fell On Alabama 1 by Frank Perkins

Default Thanks and Hello

I just wanted to offer a quick thanks for all the Gypsy Jazz charts.

I'm not too interested in all the Real Book standards but have been learning Gypsy Jazz for the last couple of years and it's great to have all the charts available on the iphone.

An added advantage for those nighttime jams where I couldn't see my gig book is the backlighting.

I was thinking that I might need some sort of velcro attachment to stick it to my knee or something like that.

Anyway thanks a lot.

I "redid" a couple of the tunes (Nuages and Django's Castle) to get the chord progression that Robin Nolan uses and trying to fit a couple little chord runs like: "G6/9 A-7 Bbdim" didn't fit in the measure. I put the A-7 chord on the text line just below so it didn't get squeezed by the other two chords. Works good enough to figure it out. You pros might have already figured this out but I've only been at it one day...

Cheers,

Harpster

Harpster,
    you are most welcome!
    With irb you can tweak charts however it suits you. I feel that the charts are just a suggested road map of 'a' way to go. When I try to add too much information to small format irb charts, it makes them less readable for my purpose. As a bassist, I'm less concerned about if it's a ii,V,I change vs. just a V,I or the precise details of a turnaround than WHERE that key change went or what the heck is that mystery chord.
    irb suits my purpose very well.
    If the charts that I've shared are helpful, that's great.
    )BOB
    Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Harpster View Post
    ... trying to fit a couple little chord runs like: "G6/9 A-7 Bbdim" didn't fit in the measure.
    ... but I've only been at it one day...
    Harpster, you might not be aware (since you have just started using it) that you can change the size of the chord (there are two sizes, Normal and Small) Here is a screenshot of what you might have wanted to do?

(the little red 'S' does not appear in Song view, just in the editor and indicates you have switched to the Small size.)

Cedar,

Ahhh that's what that is (can I say RTFM?)... thanks for the tip. I'll definitely give it a try.

Cheers,

Harpster

Thank you Jason for sharing your tunes
    )BOB