Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problem with random key changes

Default problem with random key changes

All of a sudden, my iReal Pro is seemingly randomly changing keys of songs on me. I'm always a C melody inst. player (guitar & piano), so I never need to see changes in a diff. key than what's being played. But I'm now sometimes getting songs showing as if the changes are for an E flat inst. (songs are down a min 3rd).

This is even happening when I duplicate a song - I just downloaded "Breaking Us in Two" (Joe Jackson), in A maj, & thought I'd duplicate it to add an Intro, & as soon as I hit "Duplicate" it went to F#!

I've already looked at the global transpositions, it's set in C for everything, & things are still showing in the wrong key. Even took that duplicate song in F# & did "Set & Transpose" to A maj, no luck, it still showed as F#.

This has got to be a bug, because I was jammin' w/ a guy last week, we were both reading changes off of iReal on our iPads, we both called up "Green Dolphin St.", & BOTH of our copies of iReal showed the song in E flat! That song's in C maj, as long as I've ever seen it...help?!
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 12-28-2015 at 01:32 AM.

P.S. The player is transposing also, not just the chords on the page. So it doesn't appear to be doing a global transposition for an E flat inst., it's just transposing the whole song w/o me telling it to.

Also, I just went back & did "Set & Transpose" for the Joe Jackson song that duplicated in F#, now it's letting me "Set & Transpose" & it will Save in the key I tell it to. But why would it transpose when I choose "Duplicate"?

Forgot: iReal Pro vrs. 6.2
    iPad2, iOS vrs. 8.3

The practice feature (graduation hat icon) will automatically transpose the interval you set each time the song cycles.
    There's also a setting that will increase the tempo.

Make sure they are both OFF except for practice sessions.
    )BOB

Thx, Bob, but that wasn't it, the Practice Session is all off, always has been, I've never used it.

This problem just seems random, I've duplicated a couple of other songs, & they didn't transpose, but that Joe Jackson one does, every time. Strange...I wonder if the person who posted that song created it w/ the global transposition set to E flat, & then changed it to A, & it's somehow reverting back to what he originally wrote it in. Like, ghost code?! Hangover code...

Please share the problem chart here, I'd like to look at it.
    Also, what would you prefer as the default key?
    Thanks
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 06-23-2015 at 02:30 PM.

It is not clear there is a problem (yet) until we establish a few things.
    On Green Dolphin Street is in Eb in the 1300 jazz playlist.

If a song has been transposed in Song view (not in the editor), duplicating (or editing it) will have it open in its default key. (Relating to the song you mention, it could be set in F#.) Bob can check if you post it. That you did a Set and Transpose, might not be relevant if it was not first reset to the key the chords are showing in, so if they show within the Editor in F#, you need to choose F# as the key in Info, and SET it first (so they are the same) then Set and Transpose to whatever key you wish (you will see the chords change to this new key in the editor when you Ok the transpose window). I'm not certain what you did, so I might be wrong in this explanation.

If you always use global transpose in C, could someone have inadvertently changed it to Eb? Do you know what it looks like if it is set to a non-concert key? The top left will tell you which transpose is set, but if blank it is in concert. (Try it).
    Anyway, reset everything, More>Reset all settings then check through some songs.

If there is a bug we will want to track it down, so post back your findings.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    It is not clear there is a problem (yet) until we establish a few things.
    On Green Dolphin Street is in Eb in the 1300 jazz playlist.

If a song has been transposed in Song view (not in the editor), duplicating (or editing it) will have it open in its default key. (Relating to the song you mention, it could be set in F#.) Bob can check if you post it. That you did a Set and Transpose, might not be relevant if it was not first reset to the key the chords are showing in, so if they show within the Editor in F#, you need to choose F# as the key in Info, and SET it first (so they are the same) then Set and Transpose to whatever key you wish (you will see the chords change to this new key in the editor when you Ok the transpose window). I'm not certain what you did, so I might be wrong in this explanation.

If you always use global transpose in C, could someone have inadvertently changed it to Eb? Do you know what it looks like if it is set to a non-concert key? The top left will tell you which transpose is set, but if blank it is in concert. (Try it).
    Anyway, reset everything, More>Reset all settings then check through some songs.

If there is a bug we will want to track it down, so post back your findings.
    Thanks.
    As described here:
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...laying-New-Key
    )BOB

Here is the original song that I downloaded off the forum (post titled "Joe Jackson") - it shows as A maj, but it's set in F# (Gb) when I go imto Edit & then Info:

Breaking Us In Two 1 - Joe Jackson

Just realized that that is a copy I made, here is the original one - it shows up in F#, I swear that it showed as A when I first saw it. I must be hitting the Song Transpose key somehow by mistake as I'm playing around w/tempo, rhythm styles, etc. Sorry.

As far Green Dolphin St., that's amazing to hear, I've been playing that song in C maj for 30 years, as have other folks I've played w/. C maj is the key it's in in the original Real Book, the "illegal" one from Berklee.
    Last edited by MCJazzer; 06-24-2015 at 12:34 AM. Reason: adding more info

Sorry (again), HERE it is:

Breaking Us In Two - Joe Jackson