Thread: Need advice with a problem measure.

Default Need advice with a problem measure.

Can anyone please explain to me why this measure won't Playback? The error message doesn't make sense to me. What am I doing wrong here?

(This is a simplified version of a measure I need for a Gershwin tune. Thanks.)

Problem measure - Unknown Composer
    Jack

Default Too many chords?

I think it may be as simple a matter as having too many chords in the measure. I deleted one chord at a time and the measure worked only when I got down to four remaining chords. The eight chords worked when I split your single measure into two four-chord measures. It appears (to me) that there can be only one chord per beat.

Consider changing the time-sig of the song to 2/2 and split the double-time bar into two 4/4 measures, then back to 2/2.
    Of course, that may create unforeseen issues elsewhere in the chart.
    Problem Measure 1 - Gerald Marks
    )BOB

Here is the actual Gershwin measure I'm trying to Playback:
    Problem Measure - Actual - Gershwin

I think you must be right, Keith -- In 4/4 and 2/4 time, iRP's Playback must be limited to just one chord per beat, so no chords on eighth notes in 4/4 time as written here. That's probably what the error message is trying to say. It will play three chords in a single 2/2 measure, but at half tempo.

I'll try playing with your workaround, Bob. If that doesn't work, I think I'll just have to enter the B7 chord as an alternative chord in the beat it's supposed to be in, and it just won't play during Playback, that's all.

Here are three systems from the actual chart. The B7 alternative chord should be down in the measure on that same beat.
    Woman Is A Sometime Thing (excerpt), A - Gershwin

Thanks much, guys.
    Last edited by nimbleswitch; 12-22-2014 at 04:48 PM.